- Visit the beach in St Lucia, Umhlanga, Jeffrey’s Bay, Plettenberg Bay, Wilderness, Mossel Bay, Hermanus, or Hout Baai. The sun is much stronger than in Europe so make sure to bring enough water, sunscreen and a head covering.
- Scootoors in the Drakensberg, Cape Town, Knysna, Stellenbosch, Kaapsehoop and Franschhoek has tours for families with children, but also more adventurous descents for the real daring.
- Cycle through the vineyards of Stellenbosch with the whole family
- Tour of the Cape Peninsula with your own rental car. You can determine the exact direction of travel, but possible stops are at the Cape of Good Hope, Chapmans Peak Drive, Boulders Beach, the Imhof Farm (with children’s farm) and beaches of Kalk Bay, Noordhoek, Kommetjie, and Hout Bay.
- A safari with your own car or camper in the national parks, for example: Kruger National Park, Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve and Addo Elephant National Park. Because you can determine your own stops and route, this is a good option when traveling with young children. Make sure you have enough food and drink with you, buy a ticket at the gate and the adventure can begin!
The malaria-free Kololo Game Reserve in the province of Limpopo: You and your children will enjoy a real bush experience. You can walk and even mountain bike (with child seat) in the reserve. If you are staying on a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast basis, you will create a game drive in the big 5 Welgevonden Reserve on a daily basis.
- Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary in Swaziland is a paradise for families with children. The camp has both accommodations and camping pitches, a swimming pool and a spacious restaurant with a view. In the reserve you can take walks, ride a bike, experience a horse-drawn safari or reserve a game drive with guides.
- Garden Route Game Lodge in the malaria-free Western Cape: children of all ages can go on safari and the rooms are specifically designed for young children. Perhaps the children can even help the rangers during the game drive!
Special visa rules apply for journeys with children to South Africa. Children under the age of 18 must be able to show an original (extended) birth certificate in addition to the passport upon arrival in South Africa. Read more
Accommodation and campings
- Glamping at Africamps in Stanford, Oudtshoorn, Swellendam, Robertson, Plettenberg Bay, Hazyview and Wilderness. You spend the night in tents which are fully equipped for families with children.
At the Woods in Storms River has spacious family rooms and next to the guesthouse is also a cafe serving pizzas. There is a climbing machine for the children in the garden.
Safari Club SA near the OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg: family rooms, beautiful large garden for the children and the staff offer flexibility for dinner. This is an ideal location to unwind at the beginning or the end of your journey.
Kgalagadi National Park: The Two River Rest Camp and Mata Mata Rest Camp have spacious camping spots with lots of sand for the children to play in and a nice swimming pool. You can go on safari with your own 4×4 from the camps.
- Royal Natal National Park in Kwazulu Natal (Drakensberg): many and neat toilet blocks with bath, beautiful playground, lots of play space), child-friendly walks (landscaped paths, short distances with swimming facilities on the way).