Camper rental general

Wildlife parks, wine-growing countries, remote nature reserves and popular coastal towns, Africa offers an unlimited variety in terms of camping. Are you a lover of nature, culture and freedom? Then you can take a look at our budget or luxury camper holidays. 

Whether you are traveling with children, a couple of friends or as a couple, touring by motorhome is THE ideal way to get to know South Africa. The big advantage of a complete camper is that you have everything with you for a long journey. Due to the compact design, traveling with these vehicles is the perfect way to independently experience a fantastic journey.

You can opt for tough 4×4 vehicles with roof tents, 4×4 bush campers and ‘normal’ campers as you see in the Netherlands. Here you will find our full range: camper rental.


This type of camper is also known as a motor home because the real thing is a house on wheels and fully equipped. This type of camper is ideal for traveling with children or for those who want a little more luxury. In our offer you will find campers with space for a maximum of 2, 4 or 6 people.


4×4 vehicle with rooftop tent

A double cab (with back seat) or single cab (without back seat) 4×4 car with 1 or 2 roof tents on the roof. If you are adventurous, rent this type of vehicle and visit the places you cannot reach with a normal car or camper. You can also cross the border with a 4×4 camper and discover the rough terrain of other African countries.

4×4 bushcamper
Traveling by bush camper combines the adventure of a 4×4 with more comfort. You sleep inside the vehicle and some bush campers also have a living space and sometimes even a kitchenette and bathroom. With other types of bushcamper, the side and / or top of the body are folded out to create a living space.

Drivers License

If you want to rent a camper then an international driver’s license is required. You need IRB model 1968 for South Africa and IRB model 1949 for Swaziland.The Dutch driver’s license is often accepted for car rental, but for a (4×4) camper the international driver’s license is required by the landlords.

In the Netherlands you can purchase the international driver’s license at the ANWB stores. Take a recent passport photo and driver’s license for this (costs around € 25).

In Belgium you can obtain an international driver’s license from the municipality where you live. Take a recent passport photo, your driver’s license and passport / ID with you (costs around € 16).
Credit card

You need a credit card to rent a camper. This is used to cover the risk that is not covered by the camper insurance. This means that an amount equal to the deductible on your credit card will be blocked or debited.
So make sure that your credit card spending space is large enough to make this possible. You can ask your credit card company to temporarily increase this amount.
 You can also deposit an amount on your credit card to increase your credit.

If you have surrendered your deductible with the attractive insurance offered by us, you must nevertheless have your deductible available as space on your credit card at the camper  rental company.

Border crossings for campers
The costs of crossing the border with a camper are called a ‘cross border fee’. This amount can vary per camper. The amounts per border crossing are stated in our quotations and on the website.
The cross border fee is charged once, regardless of how many countries you want to visit (within the permitted countries). The border crossings to Swaziland and Lesotho also fall under this arrangement.

Note: If you wish to collect the vehicle in Zimbabwe / Zambia, we recommend that you collect the vehicle in Kasane. Picking up at other locations mentioned in these countries is possible, but often requires problems (fines, bribery, etc.) It is therefore easier and often faster to pick up the car / camper in (more touristy) Kasane.

Note: To be allowed to cross the border of Mozambique with a rental car, you must be in possession of a ‘third party all risk’ insurance. This insurance cannot be taken out through us or the car supplier. This can only be arranged at the border of Mozambique and the costs are around R150 / R250. This third party all-risk insurance is completely independent of the standard insurance of your car or camper supplier or any additional insurance to buy off or insure your own risk.

It is compulsory to get Third party vehicle insurance which is obtainable from PNL at Giriyondo and Massingir gate. There are no facilities for buying 3rd party insurance at the new Limpopo border post.
All vehicles (including trailers) have to have compulsory Mozambican 3rd Party Insurance in accordance with Article 157 of the Mozambican Road Law. “Motor vehicles and their trailers, on terms to be set out in regulations, may only travel on a public roadway if they have obtained, in terms of special legislation, third party liability insurance.”

For information about visas and border crossing for people, please refer to the following pages:
Border Crossing and visas neighboring countries South Africa
Visa South Africa


The prices for gasoline and diesel are around 2/3 of the price in the Netherlands and Belgium. Diesel campers drive more economically than petrol campers. Most campers run on diesel and 1: 8 is an average which is practically applicable for every camper.

There are many places in South Africa where you can refuel. As soon as you drive towards the border of Namibia (or Botswana), you will see that there will be longer distances without gas stations. This means that it is advisable for a trip outside South Africa to rent a camper with a larger tank and water content and of course always to refuel where possible.

It is possible to rent jerry cans, but this is quite expensive. Buying it yourself is a lot cheaper. This is possible in many different places and from R200. We therefore recommend that you purchase a few jerry cans locally if you are going to drive long distances through uninhabited area during your trip.

It is not allowed to park / spend the night in South Africa.
There are many campsites in South Africa where, depending on your preferences, you can camp / spend the night almost alone and remote or with a lot of people nearby. B & Bs, guest houses and lodges also sometimes offer pitches for campers.

Some campsites charge a price per person and other campsites with a surcharge per person. A rough price indication for campsites is as follows:

  • South Africa, Swaziland and Lesotho: ZAR 250 per person per night
  • Namibia outside the national parks: N $ 250 per person per night
  • Namibia in the national parks: N $ 400 per person per night
  • Botswana outside the national parks: US $ 25 per person per night
  • Botswana in the national parks: US $ 75 per person per night

Note: For many national parks and reserves in South Africa a conservation fee is asked which is independent of your camping costs! If you plan to visit several parks, it is advisable to order a Wild Card, which gives you a discount on these extra costs.

Camper trips

Based on our own experiences and those of our customers, we have made a nice selection of camper trips. All these trips can be tailor-made according to your wishes.

We can book your campsites if you wish. However, we only work out a tailor made camping trip if you have first booked your camper through us for the trip in question. We then check availability for your specific travel dates and request prices.
If you, for whatever reason, do not want to book a camper with us but do you want an itinerary with campsites, we ask for a prepayment of € 100 for the advising on your trip and preparing of a tailor-made proposal.
If you book your motorhome / 4×4 camper with us for the trip, the € 100 will be discounted on that booking.If you do not book the proposal, the prepayment will not be refunded. If you book the proposal, but not the motorhome/4×4 camper with us, the prepayment will not be refunded.

If we can assist you in organizing your camping trip, we need to know this at least a month in advance. This way we have enough time to request availability and to make the payments. Unfortunately we cannot be of service to you last minute when booking the campsites.

  • Depending on the type of camper, there is an inverter and option to charge laptops and the like. If you need 220v (such as for a laptop), it is necessary that you are connected to a power point. For phones this is also possible with 12v.
  • Sheets, pillowcases, blankets, duvets with covers and towels are provided in the camper. It is nice to bring your own extra towel and perhaps tea towels. Sleeping bags are not included but if you wish, you can inquire about that.
  • It can be useful to buy a cool box locally during a self-catering holiday so that your provisions stay cool during longer journeys. Cool boxes are certainly to be found here, both the traditional with cooling elements as well as the variant with the plug that fits into the lighter of the car / camper.
  • A lapa (sail) with ropes and pegs is to shield your campsite. This is not included as standard but you can ask for it. A tent is also not included as standard.
  • In the nature parks you must ensure that you always keep your windows and doors closed and that no food is visible in your camper. Otherwise you may encounter unexpected visitors!
  • There are places where you can really camp among wild animals, for example in Botswana. This means that there are no fences around the campsite. In this case it is advisable to take the following tips to heart: do not leave food outside, do not walk around in the evening (do your needs as close as possible to the camper), leave a light on outside at night and listen carefully to the instructions of the campsite staff.
Add to my travel plans