The tropical island of Mauritius is approximately 2,000 km from the east coast of Africa, in the Indian Ocean. The landscape is characterized by the mountains, deep crater lakes and the many sugar cane plantations in the interior to the beautiful white sandy beaches. A number of special and rare animal species can also be found here. And did you know that Mauritius was, among other things, the extinct dodo?
In addition to the official English language, one speaks Creole and French. The population consists of a colorful mix of Indians, Creoles, Africans, Malagasy, Europeans and Chinese.
You can visit Mauritius all year round. In the summer months (our winter) the mercury can rise to 30-35 degrees Celsius and in the winter months (our summer) you can enjoy a pleasant 20-25 degrees Celsius. In these months, however, a strong east wind can blow. This makes the (north) west coast the most pleasant place to stay. The most rain falls from January to April and tropical storms can occur in February and March.
In addition to the beautiful white sandy beaches, lagoons and bays, Mauritius has more to offer!
In the north:
- Grand Baie with its cozy center with shops and restaurants;
- Balaclava Ruins (Baie aux Tortues);
- Triolet Shivala with the largest Hindu temple of Mauritius;
- Labourdonnais Orchards (fruit orchards);
In the East:
- Flacq markt;
- The water amusement park Leisure Village;
- Ile aux Cerfs, and a small island with the most beautiful beach of Mauritius. A paradise for water sports enthusiasts;
In the South East:
- Dutch Ruins, the remains of the Dutch fort;
- Ile aux Aigrettes, a protected natures area;
- The fishing village Mahebourg;
- The coastal town Souillac;
In the West:
- The Martello Towers;
- Chamarel with seven colors Earths and the Chamare waterfalll;
- The salt pans of Tamarin;
- The Casela bird park;
- Yemen Reserve;
In the inland:
Add to my travel plans
- Sugar cane plantations
- Black River Gorges National Park;
- The Ganga Talao and Grand Bassin crater lakes. Ganga Talao is an important place of pilgrimage for Hindus.